Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Thread: RIP EVH

Thanks

Default RIP EVH

Thanks

Horrible to lose such a legend. 2020 officially sucks even worse now.

Thanks

Easily a top 3 influence of mine, I had no idea the cancer got so bad. So, was it the cigarettes or strange that got him?

Thanks

Yeah I don't know. It's strange and I'm not judging or wishing ill on anyone but it's just why I've always just lived my life the way I wanted to because you never know. I've never done drugs, smoked or drank but you have guys like Keith Richards who will probably out live the planet and then other people well.... you know

I'm the freak that was more influenced by EVH's rhythm playing than his leads. In no way saying he wasn't an awesome lead player but it was his rhythms that floored me.. Even to this day. Had a road trip last weekend and did the Roth era catalog and was just floored at all the riffs he had.

Favorite Album: Fair Warning
    Favorite Song: Dance the Night Away
    Favorite riff: I'm The One / Hang'em High
    Favorite lead: Somebody Get Me a Doctor

Thanks

Rest in peace to the man himself. I saw some stuff about how he was always tapping, using coins, picks, putting the picks in his mouth etc, eventually he consumed so much nickel from his guitar strings, it caused the throat cancer to form. I could be totally talking out of my ass but it kind of makes sense. Cigs seems like the obvious reason but who knows, there are people who live forever off a pack a day.

One thing about EVH that I love, similar to Crue, is the singular guitar player that creates a HUGEEE sound. Like Ronin mentioned, he's a sick rhythm player and almost combines the two to create his own style/sound.

As a 24 y/o I didn't grow up seeing VH tour or on the charts, my mom played his stuff around the house as a kid and I never paid much attention to it. My buddy in college showed me a fishing video his pops made in Panama when he was younger, with the song Panama by VH in the background. I was like "man that song is sick what is it" and he was like "you've never listened to van halen?!" and the rest is history. I truly believe it is music that anyone and I really mean anyone, can find enjoyment in.

Thanks

You know the funny thing is that for all the accolades regarding his solos, he actually in fact tended to keep his solos fairly short. Heck there were a large number of songs that didn't even have solos. Ain't Talkin Bout Love is a perfect example. Killer riff, monster drums, tons of energy, very minimal solo. I recall back in the day someone saying how he shredded that solo and the look on the guy's face when I pointed out how the solo was only a few notes and pretty short. lol But you get wrapped up in the song it just gives the impression the solo ripped your head off when it was actually the song as a whole. He has lots of songs that do that. Little Guitars comes to mind as well.

But then you have songs like Hang'em High or I'm the One were the riff itself is practically a solo

Thanks

You know the funny thing is that for all the accolades regarding his solos, he actually in fact tended to keep his solos fairly short. Heck there were a large number of songs that didn't even have solos. Ain't Talkin Bout Love is a perfect example. Killer riff, monster drums, tons of energy, very minimal solo. I recall back in the day someone saying how he shredded that solo and the look on the guy's face when I pointed out how the solo was only a few notes and pretty short. lol But you get wrapped up in the song it just gives the impression the solo ripped your head off when it was actually the song as a whole. He has lots of songs that do that. Little Guitars comes to mind as well.

But then you have songs like Hang'em High or I'm the One were the riff itself is practically a solo. Just great great stuff. I'm generally not one to harp on playing stuff perfectly note for note, I've seen so many people destory I'm the One. They have the notes correct but just never catch the rhythm EVH had when he played it. They couldn't get the shuffle. Same with something like the rhythm for Where Have All the Good Times Gone.

I grew up listening to VH so I'm pretty old, but it's funny had this conversation the other week with a co-worker about how some things stand the test of time and others don't. I listen to the Roth era VH albums today and they are just timeless. I love the sound and energy they just rock. Then I try to listen to some other stuff/players from that era and I'm like geez am I sure I never did drugs cause this stuff sucks!!! lol

Sorry to ramble, the last few weeks I'd been listening heavily to Van Halen and The Police and enjoying them so so much. EVH's death seems to have made me reflective..

Thanks

Its a bummer he died. The contributions he made to guitar playing are huge. I have never liked Van Halen. His lead playing is enjoyable for me, but then I'd have to sit through the rest of the song to hear it.

I have to say - he is not an inspiration of mine directly, but he was the beginning of most of my influences.

Thanks

Its a bummer he died. The contributions he made to guitar playing are huge. I have never liked Van Halen. His lead playing is enjoyable for me, but then I'd have to sit through the rest of the song to hear it.

I have to say - he is not an inspiration of mine directly, but he was the beginning of most of my influences.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog