Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Thread: Think I'm hanging them up...

Thanks

Default Think I'm hanging them up...

After about 7 years of playing guitar, I think I'm going to hang them up and switch gears for a while. This past weekend's jam session confirmed it for me.

We've been doing a blues jam session around here for quite a few months. When I first joined, it was strictly for guitar. But as time went on and people stopped coming (mostly drummers), we were needing someone to jump on the kit. Being a former, long-time drummer, I figured I could fill in when needed and when the real drummers came back, they could have at it. Problem is, the real drummers aren't coming back.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't feel as if I'm sacrificing at all. I love playing music to any capacity so if the need calls for percussion, I'm there giving it my best. But to me it feels like the right time to switch from guitar back to drums.

This weekend was the absolute best we've ever sounded. I attribute most of that to the seldom-seen keyboard player who showed up this go-around. He's a very good player and his choices of sounds and chords really fit in well with the songs. He was really the only one I could hear when I'm playing, so I definitely was able to feed off his great playing. Nothing like that synergy! When it was all over, I realized how much I have missed being behind the skins and as a result, my percussion spark has been re-ignited.

The last year or so, I haven't really progressed at all on guitar. I find myself just messing around on it, playing things I already know. I haven't been advancing in my playing and no amount of NGD posts can fix that I'm finding. So the new Gretsch I just bought is going back, as much as it pains me to say so. It's an amazing guitar all-around!

I still intend to keep some of my guitar gear which means some of it will be sold. I'll have plenty of pedals to get rid of and a few amps and guitars will go as well. If you're interested in the full list, please message me.

I'll still be around and will probably check in from time to time. But I think it's time to get back to the beats.

Thanks all!

Thanks

I believe the key to unlocking your guitar skills or really any instrument is to learn and understand the theory behind music composition.
    Get yourself some kind of recording device and learn the theory.....once you create a backing track or jam with others the notes will come alive in the context of everything that is going on. The theory will unlock your creativity.
    I have taught theory to others and I have heard their ability advance very quickly as soon as they "get it" regarding the theory.

Don't give up!!
    Last edited by LEFTISRIGHT; 09-30-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks

Sad to see you do that!

Thanks

Does you good to have a break. I'm a bit over it as well, selling sold some guitars. Enjoy the skins.

Thanks

You'll be back

Thanks

Thanks all. Just to clear the air a bit, I'm not quitting guitar altogether. I'm lucky enough to have 4 very nice guitars (including the new Gretsch), and a couple of amps & pedals. The guitars I'll probably keep and an amp or two...everything else is gonna go.

I'm going to work on a complete list of items I'll be selling and will post it here when ready. Thanks again!

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog