Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NGD: Jackson SL2 Pro Series Soloist

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by conor_M View Post
    Prob gonna end up selling this thing. It's beautiful but DAMN that floyd is annoying as hell. I set it up perfectly and played it for an hour or two, only to find after i put it down for a while the floyd had so much forward lean on it I would have to re-set up the entire thing. I took more time setting it up again, to find the next day it had backward lean!! The process never ends. I've spent over 5 hours total, tinkering with it (beginner with floyds) and ideally it's just too much for me with my level of experience. I also realized through this guitar (a lot smaller body than I'm used to) I really friggen love my Hellraiser V-1 (both the sound and comfort) I have and will likely replace this Jackson with the Platinum Schecter V on XLG. I love the process of buying and selling guitars so I don't mind, it seems like it's a lot of work to go through but at the end of the day I'm always learning, and ultimately looking for something to "settle down" with to accompany the Hellraiser I love and cherish.
    Check the neck relief. I have just discovered that neck relief can have a much bigger impact on overall setup than I had previously known.

I just found this out because I experienced something similar to what you were going through. A guitar of mine was out of tune, which is to be expected because I hadn't played it in a while. As I tried to re-tune it, I noticed that the bridge was leaning forward drastically. How can that be? I blocked up the bridge (a proper bridge block makes setting up floating bridges so much easier) and tuned it, and noticed that the intonation was awful and that the action was extremely high. What on Earth is going on here?

It was then that I noticed that the neck had a pretty serious bow. This isn't surprising because when I first got the guitar the neck was way too straight or may have even had some back-bow such that I was getting fretbuzz when I detuned it to where I wanted it. So I loosened the truss rod quite a bit and brought it back up to standard tuning to get some relief and stop the fretbuzz. After that, it played nicely.

Well, I guess after all this time, the neck settled in and developed too much bow. I tightened up the truss rod somewhat and got a good amount of relief. That went a long way to correct the bridge lean and poor intonation.
    Resident Schecter fanboy - Line 6 - NYXL - too much gain

This user has gone 126 days without purchasing a guitar.

Thanks

Give floyds time to learn. They're annoying, but not hard.

Biggest tip I can give is to stretch the strings a huge amount before you tune it up. Yank on them directly above the fretboard, and move all the way down to the bridge. The bridge is leaning because you tune it, and the strings are stretching. Don't screw with the springs when you're tuning unless they're way off. Every time you do that the tension changes and you have to retension the strings to match.

Thanks

Give floyds time to learn. They're annoying, but not hard.

Biggest tip I can give is to stretch the strings a huge amount before you tune it up. Yank on them directly above the fretboard, and move all the way down to the bridge. The bridge is leaning because you tune it, and the strings are stretching. Don't screw with the springs when you're tuning unless they're way off. Every time you do that the tension changes and you have to retension the strings to match.

Thanks

Honestly, thank you guys both for the advice, but I sold the Jackson for a few bucks more than I got it for. Likely will go for a Gibson V in the next couple months as I find some pop up. Old man just got a fender with a floating trem so I will apply your comments when helping him.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to conor_M For This Useful Post:

beneharris (12-04-2019)

Thanks

Congrats on making some money!

Thanks

Guitar Center has a used Gibson V for sale and is doing 36 months 0% financing on used items over 499.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gi...r-115964567.gc
    Good Deals on LGT with:
    Jesse
    mdrorick
    lefthandhunter
    Mr.9 Fingers
    theplystory
    abadonae
    LeftyParasite
    Lefty6string
    espfreak
    IbanezGuy

Thanks

That's likely the one I'll grab once I get my payments from my two Reverb sales. It's a 2015 and in pretty nice shape. Got the rundown from an employee a few days ago.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog