Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Thread: May I collect some survey data/opinions on Repainting/Refinishing guitars?

Thanks

Default May I collect some survey data/opinions on Repainting/Refinishing guitars?

TLDR: Are you or anyone you know really interested in re-painting a guitar? Who is it, and why?

I started working on marketing/sales for a Guitar Repainting and Refinishing company. Has anyone here ever considered either stripping their guitar of paint and re-painting the whole thing or getting it done professionally? It's certainly a tedious and time consuming process, and without the right knowledge it can easily be messed up. The couple I am helping are extremely talented artists but have no clue how to sell their services to others. I told them a casual player likely wouldn't spend the money as it's just a side hobby, but the person with 10+ guitars who has crazy GAS and is always involved in forums and buying/selling/researching (*looks around nervously*) would be an ideal target customer.

Do your friends, local bands, or anyone else have any interest in custom paintjobs? I figured lefties would be more inclined, as our color options for most standard guitars are: 1. Gloss Black 2. Matte Black 3. (if lucky) Gloss White. I've seen like 5 lefty jackson guitars (other than custom shops) that aren't black. Would you consider getting an old beat up/dinged up guitar re-painted and re-finished to make it look nice new and clean again?

Please write as much as you want/can. I'd love to hear all opinions. If you think it's a stupid or bad idea, let me know why!!

Thanks everyone!! Feedback is so helpful and very much appreciated.

Thanks

Pushead2 does his own finishes.

Dan Lawrence does my finishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Thanks

May I ask how much Dan Lawrence charges? How long does it take, what's the process like for you? Do you ship him the guitar, do you meet him in person? Would he charge me the same price if I shipped it to him etc...

Thanks

His rates vary depending on the job.

I used to bring him stuff in person when I lived in SoCal, now I ship stuff to him.

Thanks

Marty Bell does custom finish work in San Diego, CA. His base rate is around $400 but goes up, and he does custom work for Jackson Guitars, All Parts, Gibson's (generally from Foo Fighters and other A-list guys).

There's a guy in LA, who I forget, and he charges around $700 for re-finish.

Overall, I'm against re-finishing unless it's necessary, like a Peavey Tracer I had, as well as my 1958 Gibson acoustic that literally peels when you touch it. In these scenarios, my guitar tech is doing them.
    Im all over this like a fat bitch grabbin the last slice of pizza.

Thanks

I've seen Marty's work in person and he's done some legit stuff.

Thanks

All of these responses are really interesting! The couple I'm trying to help out is charging $250 for a re-finish/paint and they're out of Florida. Keep going with any info anyone has!! I really appreciate it guys.

Gotta figure out how to best reach those that are actually willing to repaint/finish their guitar. Like blue church mentioned, most people only get it done when it NEEDS to be, as it's not cheap, and is rather time consuming.

Thanks

GuitarPaintGuys.com has had blowout sales before where they offer great deals on refinishing guitars with a large selection of finishes. But when they do that, they have a very long turnaround time due to the volume they receive; on the order of a few months.
    Resident Schecter fanboy - Line 6 - NYXL - too much gain

This user has gone 35 days without purchasing a guitar.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog