Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

XLG

Thread: NPGD: Schecter JLX-1

Thanks

Default NPGD: Schecter JLX-1

You guys! I am just beside myself with delight about this guitar! This is my first pointy guitar! Every metalhead should have a pointy guitar!

The back of the neck is satin, and it feels great!

I am not crazy about the partially-matched headstock. It's like that new trend of partial finishes that have come out recently, like the Ibanez RGD series, etc. I never cared for it. Anyway...

Check it out! It doesn't even need a stand!

I got this guitar because, as I said, every metalhead should have a pointy guitar. Not only that, playing Pantera on a non-pointy guitar just doesn't feel right. There is just something missing. I am convinced it is a key ingredient to Dimebag's sound.

So, I had intended for this to be my Pantera guitar (that is, tuned to D where A = 425Hz, rather than normal 440), but that hasn't worked out, so far. More on that later. I chose this guitar over a Dean Razorback because I love Schecter and because this guitar has a Maple fretboard.

Let's get the bad out of the way first, because I don't want to dwell on it.

1) It showed up with a crack in the finish near the battery compartment and a tiny little poke mark. I could send it back, but they don't have another one to replace it with.

This sucks, but in a way it is a relief because now I don't have to worry about it getting another ding or whatever because it's already imperfect.

2) One of the nut locks was not set correctly and stuck on. I had to pop it off with a screwdriver, but it's fine, now.

2) It wasn't set up to Dimebag tuning, as I had asked. This is where things get messy. I asked for D standard at A=425Hz, but I said that if that is a hassle, then regular C# would be fine. Well, it showed up in D at concert pitch. This was annoying because now I have to monkey around with a floating bridge which is not my forte and I really didn't want to have to mess with it. That is when I discovered the crack. After finding the crack, I was now a little less hesitant to dig into it because I wasn't as worried about messing something up.

3) This is the biggie: Fretbuzz! Fretbuzz everywhere! When trying to tune it to Dimebag, I found that the neck had not the slightest bit of relief. So I tweaked the truss rod but found it to be already very loose. So, on the advice of our buddy Joe, I decided to bring it up to standard tuning to increase the tension and add some relief. This did a great deal to add relief and eliminate fretbuzz.

4) The truss rod can not be accessed without first removing the truss rod cover. That makes sense. The problem is that in order to remove the truss rod cover, the string tree must be removed. Ugh.

Enough of the bad. It turned out to be fortuitous that I had to set it up because it was a good learning experience. Setting up a floating bridge isn't so bad once you know a couple tricks. Further, after tuning it to standard, I found it to be quite nice to have it in standard tuning because it opens up many more songs that can be played. Being in Dimebag tuning pretty much limits it to a Pantera-only guitar. And now that the fretbuzz is gone, I really want to play the hell out of this thing, for the following reasons...

The good:
    1) The body shape does not cause any problems when playing in a sitting position. Something tells me the Razorback would be so easy.

2) It plays like a Schecter! When playing in a sitting position, the strings are a bit more elevated from the ground than a C-1, which I only noticed because when I go to hit the low E to tune it, I would always hit the A. No big deal. Once I got my had anchored on the bridge, it was a dream to play like a C-1.

3) My god! The fretboard on this thing is absolutely gorgeous! Sometimes I just stare at it and admire it as I play.

4) GUYS! This thing sounds INCREDIBLE!!. Even when it was plagued with fretbuzz, as soon as I plugged it in and struck the first chord, I was floored at how absolutely NASTY this thing sounds! Especially in lower tunings. I could never have expected this guitar to sound so noticeably more aggressive than my other guitars. Let's face it, with high-gain tone, 90% is in the amp. How much different could this guitar sound than my other active guitars? That's why my jaw dropped when I plugged it in and heard it snarl for the first time. I don't know if it is the Ash body or the Loomis signature pickups, or a combination of the two, but the sound just majestic! (Personally, I think it comes from the pointy body shape, haha! The body shape infuses the guitar with a soul of metal!)
    Last edited by superheavydeathmetal; 05-22-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    Resident Schecter fanboy - Line 6 - NYXL - too much gain

This user has gone 46 days without purchasing a guitar.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superheavydeathmetal For This Useful Post:

bassine (06-08-2019), Flashback55 (05-23-2019), IbanezGuy (05-22-2019)

Thanks

That’s awesome Conley! Great choice! I agree, every metal head should have a pointy guitar!
    Mustaine: He's brilliant; I love him. But then you see some guy like Bucketheadů Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IbanezGuy For This Useful Post:

superheavydeathmetal (05-22-2019)

Thanks

Default JLX-1

Awesome guitar reminds me of a guitar I always wanted but not available in lefty Ibanez Xiphos. https://jmp.sh/QdO6tDV
    Check the locking nut my Banshee came with the strings sitting on first fret & had to shim.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback55 For This Useful Post:

superheavydeathmetal (05-23-2019)

Thanks

Siiiiiiiick

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:

superheavydeathmetal (05-23-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback55 View Post
    Awesome guitar reminds me of a guitar I always wanted but not available in lefty Ibanez Xiphos. https://jmp.sh/QdO6tDV
    Check the locking nut my Banshee came with the strings sitting on first fret & had to shim.
    Thanks! That is a good idea! And that Xiphos is cool, too!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavydeathmetal View Post
    Thanks! That is a good idea! And that Xiphos is cool, too!

One thing that annoys me with Schecter is the setup to play sticker on the back, if they put that on make sure the friggin' thing is ready to play! Maybe they should change the wording to "Ready For You To Setup & Play" Fair enough I don't expect it to be done to perfection everyone likes a different setup but come on I doubt they even check them just whack the sticker on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback55 View Post
    One thing that annoys me with Schecter is the setup to play sticker on the back, if they put that on make sure the friggin' thing is ready to play! Maybe they should change the wording to "Ready For You To Setup & Play" Fair enough I don't expect it to be done to perfection everyone likes a different setup but come on I doubt they even check them just whack the sticker on.
    Yeah. I will say that the last Schecter I bought was good right out of the box.

I thought I was going to have to do your shim trick because I was getting fretbuzz on the open G, and nowhere else on that string or any other. But I was able to find this video I found some time ago, and his tip did the trick!

https://youtu.be/JBF3LCQk7zg">https://youtu.be/JBF3LCQk7zg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
    Last edited by superheavydeathmetal; 05-24-2019 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavydeathmetal View Post
    You guys! I am just beside myself with delight about this guitar! This is my first pointy guitar! Every metalhead should have a pointy guitar!

The back of the neck is satin, and it feels great!

I am not crazy about the partially-matched headstock. It's like that new trend of partial finishes that have come out recently, like the Ibanez RGD series, etc. I never cared for it. Anyway...

Check it out! It doesn't even need a stand!

I got this guitar because, as I said, every metalhead should have a pointy guitar. Not only that, playing Pantera on a non-pointy guitar just doesn't feel right. There is just something missing. I am convinced it is a key ingredient to Dimebag's sound.

So, I had intended for this to be my Pantera guitar (that is, tuned to D where A = 425Hz, rather than normal 440), but that hasn't worked out, so far. More on that later. I chose this guitar over a Dean Razorback because I love Schecter and because this guitar has a Maple fretboard.

Let's get the bad out of the way first, because I don't want to dwell on it.

1) It showed up with a crack in the finish near the battery compartment and a tiny little poke mark. I could send it back, but they don't have another one to replace it with.

This sucks, but in a way it is a relief because now I don't have to worry about it getting another ding or whatever because it's already imperfect.

2) One of the nut locks was not set correctly and stuck on. I had to pop it off with a screwdriver, but it's fine, now.

2) It wasn't set up to Dimebag tuning, as I had asked. This is where things get messy. I asked for D standard at A=425Hz, but I said that if that is a hassle, then regular C# would be fine. Well, it showed up in D at concert pitch. This was annoying because now I have to monkey around with a floating bridge which is not my forte and I really didn't want to have to mess with it. That is when I discovered the crack. After finding the crack, I was now a little less hesitant to dig into it because I wasn't as worried about messing something up.

3) This is the biggie: Fretbuzz! Fretbuzz everywhere! When trying to tune it to Dimebag, I found that the neck had not the slightest bit of relief. So I tweaked the truss rod but found it to be already very loose. So, on the advice of our buddy Joe, I decided to bring it up to standard tuning to increase the tension and add some relief. This did a great deal to add relief and eliminate fretbuzz.

4) The truss rod can not be accessed without first removing the truss rod cover. That makes sense. The problem is that in order to remove the truss rod cover, the string tree must be removed. Ugh.

Enough of the bad. It turned out to be fortuitous that I had to set it up because it was a good learning experience. Setting up a floating bridge isn't so bad once you know a couple tricks. Further, after tuning it to standard, I found it to be quite nice to have it in standard tuning because it opens up many more songs that can be played. Being in Dimebag tuning pretty much limits it to a Pantera-only guitar. And now that the fretbuzz is gone, I really want to play the hell out of this thing, for the following reasons...

The good:
    1) The body shape does not cause any problems when playing in a sitting position. Something tells me the Razorback would be so easy.

2) It plays like a Schecter! When playing in a sitting position, the strings are a bit more elevated from the ground than a C-1, which I only noticed because when I go to hit the low E to tune it, I would always hit the A. No big deal. Once I got my had anchored on the bridge, it was a dream to play like a C-1.

3) My god! The fretboard on this thing is absolutely gorgeous! Sometimes I just stare at it and admire it as I play.

4) GUYS! This thing sounds INCREDIBLE!!. Even when it was plagued with fretbuzz, as soon as I plugged it in and struck the first chord, I was floored at how absolutely NASTY this thing sounds! Especially in lower tunings. I could never have expected this guitar to sound so noticeably more aggressive than my other guitars. Let's face it, with high-gain tone, 90% is in the amp. How much different could this guitar sound than my other active guitars? That's why my jaw dropped when I plugged it in and heard it snarl for the first time. I don't know if it is the Ash body or the Loomis signature pickups, or a combination of the two, but the sound just majestic! (Personally, I think it comes from the pointy body shape, haha! The body shape infuses the guitar with a soul of metal!)
    This is an awesome guitar

13. The Following User Says Thank You to walter4music For This Useful Post:

superheavydeathmetal (05-27-2019)

Thanks

Oh, also, Jeff Loomis must like him some big 'ol frets, because the frets on this thing are huge.

Thanks

Most shredbois prefer jumbo frets to scalloped frets.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lostinthemasses For This Useful Post:

superheavydeathmetal (06-06-2019)

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog