XLG
Adirondack Guitars
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jesse needs a music room

Thanks

Most basements have heating vents these days, dehumidifier is a must

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    I'm not concerned about the noise, the basement is sufficiently distanced from the first floor. I'm primarily concerned with my gear and keeping it minty.

Also, I can't drop a ton of dough on it. I want to DIY the entire thing, for sure (with friends, of course).
    Same with mine. The one thing I forgot that I think is somewhat important is you should consider running a separate electrical circuit for your gear only, no lights or appliances sharing it. This can help keep your signal cleaner.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveH For This Useful Post:

Dirtdog (09-09-2018)

Thanks

If you got enough height maybe adding a false floor in the room will help keep stuff off the cement floor. Depending when the house was built the vapor barrier below the concrete may be compromised. You could add a vapor barrier on top if you get the correct stuff to seal it that way the humidity could be controlled better. using a dehumidifier is good but depending on how many times you have to empty it is a pain. Also on heating and cooling if the basement was not livable space the existing unit may not be big enough to heat it or cool it if it has central. You can add a ductless mini split depending on size a one ton unit could heat and cool around 500-600 sqft per ton. Most mini spits now are also made for colder climates and you just might be able to get some kind of rebate if you have it installed by a qualified company to lower energy use.

PS Congrats on the house

Also like Steve stated add a couple circuits dedicated for the room. Lights on one and gear on the other depending on home much you have running. A 20 Amp branch circuit can hold about 16 amps max safely. A 15 Amp circuit breaker can only hold 12 safely.
    Last edited by Dirtdog; 09-09-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks

If the basement doesn’t have any issues with water leaks then I agree with the idea of making a floor out of joists and a good sturdy subfloor....then whatever you want as far as tile, wood etc.....

The biggest fight in colder climates is fighting with the concrete slab. Being in a basement helps maintain a base temperature, but it’ll never be as warm as you want it in the winter. They make these electric radiant floor heat thingamabobs that you can put under the floor you build for your music room....this should help maintain a nice temperature in the winter months. Also, does your basement have a floor drain? Mine does, and the house we lived in while in Jersey had a French drain installed. If you have a drain in the basement then just run a dehumidifier in the music room and setup a drain hose that reaches the drain.....then you never have to empty it. You’ll want some fresh air to be able to flow through the room too. Basically, make sure it’s insulated well, sealed up nicely, ventilated properly, temperature regulated well and have the humidity in check.

Guitars won’t really “shift” much do to cold temps.....but humidity will make them shift a lot. Not good. You’d be basically creating a space that not only would serve well in terms of maintaining instruments....but also guns and cigars. Lol! Funnily enough they have similar needs! Good luck man!
    Mustaine: He's brilliant; I love him. But then you see some guy like Buckethead… Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours.

Thanks

DOUBLE POST
    Last edited by AllroyPA; 09-09-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks

Buy a ladder and keep your gutters clean debris gets in them no matter the height. Also make sure downspouts are heading down hill. Put in a backup battery sump for when electricity goes out, and buy a small generator for prolonged outages. I got one that runs on the gas grill tanks and keep an extra or two around, you’ll use them eventually when the grill runs out.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog