Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

XLG
Adirondack Guitars

Thread: Vanya Merc's music thread

Thanks

Default Vanya Merc's music thread

Hi guys,

I've decided to make my own thread here on center stage where I can upload tracks I've recorded. If nothing else it'll be fun to discuss the guitars used on the recordings, and why I chose them in particular, as well as give everyone an opportunity to hear them being used in different contexts and recordings.

First up is a track called "Kiss" which will be the first on my upcoming record. I've just begun the mixing process so there's a lot of work left to do but here's an idea of what it's gonna sound like:

http://www.vanyamerc.com/demos__unre...s/kiss_pre_mix

The main theme was recorded with a USA Telecaster and the stock neck pickup, it just has a special tone which sits quite well in the mix when playing single notes.

The chorus (or nonsensical tapping, depending on where you stand) was recorded using the Jem777. Because that's what it's for, reckless guitar playing.

The rest of the track including all solos, breaks, rhythms and leads were performed on the RG721 with stock pickups, mostly bridge but also that sweet parallel neck position that guitar has.

Hope you guys enjoy it!
    My Official Homepage

Currently playing:
    Ibanez RG721RW RG870QMZ Jem777SK JS1200CA LTDMH103QM

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vanya Merc For This Useful Post:

metalchurch (07-15-2018)

Thanks

I did enjoy that very much actually!! You did a really good job recording and mixing that and ill be honest, had you not told me that was a Tele used on the main theme I never would have guessed it! Sounds really really good among the other two guitars I think.

My fav part was the middle lead section from 2:24-2:44 man that was fn rippin dude!! Were you using a pick for any of this? I seem to recall that you dont use one much if at all which I find most impressive.

Very nice playing and thank you for sharing this with us I really enjoyed that...excellent work indeed my man!
    I read on the internet one time that...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to metalchurch For This Useful Post:

Vanya Merc (07-15-2018)

Thanks

Hey man! Glad you liked the track! 2:24-2:44 is entirely tapping, the first part is just whacking octaves using hammer-ons from nowhere, then I go into the usual Greg Howe 3-notes per string schtick and top it off with a tapped arpeggio run. I might pick a note here and there but generally it's all tapping there.

The plan over the coming months is to record live takes of all the tracks from the upcoming record, and then do breakdowns and transcriptions of how the stuff is played. There's a LOT of crazy stuff on the new record, I really decided "to hell with it" - I'll go all in and play my ass off.

As for picking in general, I pick when I need to - there are quite a few shred runs on the record but I find that legato and tapping gets me all sorts of places as I don't have to pre-coordinate with my picking hand, I can just spaz out and play whatever I feel like instead!
    My Official Homepage

Currently playing:
    Ibanez RG721RW RG870QMZ Jem777SK JS1200CA LTDMH103QM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vanya Merc For This Useful Post:

metalchurch (07-15-2018)

Thanks

Thats awesome man! Yea I was just wondering cause the section i pointed out didnt sound like it was picked, but other sections leading up to that seemed like it was a mixture. You def have a nice fluid style that is unique and I admire your legato very much cause with my I rely on my picking hand to generate alot of my speed for my stuff, also I use alot of trem picked pull offs as opposed to any version of a hammer on and Im aware that I do that yet I always seem to resort back to what im most comfy with. Its weird dissecting your own style isnt it?? But I guess all of the unique things we do as players whether it be considered good or bad habits really just snow balls into us as unique players cause we all have a few things we do respectively that we rely on and everone does, thats why when you hear a player you know who he is right away cause he does that thing with the thing. haha

So I take it the JEM is getting a good thrashing lately? Have you had any issues or concerns with it or has it been reliable and solid? (stupid question, but its an awesome guitar)

Also, are you going to update this as you finish them or do we have to wait to get them all at once?
    I read on the internet one time that...

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog