Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

XLG
Adirondack Guitars
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desert yellow ibanez on eBay

Thanks

I'm surprised it doesn't have a yellow headstock, would look infinitely better. That and of course a black pickguard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LGibanez View Post
    I'm surprised it doesn't have a yellow headstock, would look infinitely better. That and of course a black pickguard.
    Yep, I was just gonna say something about the non matching headstock, that takes it down slightly. Maybe to $1,900
    I read on the internet one time that...

Thanks

Here's an '87 righty with a yellow headstock

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg...526999421.html

I wonder if the body was painted after the fact, seems strange to swap necks

Thanks

Couldve been cracked or worn out, or these were available with matching or black headstocks. James would have to elaborate on that more...

Thanks

As far as Iím aware based on all Iíve seen and read in catalogs throughout the years all the 550ís Iíve seen from 1987 specifically have all had matching headstocks. This one does have an Ď87 serial.....so it would seem that this neck isnít likely original. Likewise, to support my theory it doesnít appear he has the original pickguard either. This, at least to me, suggests this guy lucked out and found an empty DY550 body and built it up.....or simply had a black 550 refinished in neon yellow. Without seeing better pics of it (as well as the lack of info....for example did it set on a stand in direct sunlight, was it in a case under the bed etc...this stuff greatly affects neon colors as we know) we canít truly be sure that itís actual Desert Sun Yellow.

Letís not forget that even Ibanez fucked it up in 2007. It wasnít the right shade at all....it was more on the green side of Chartreuse than the more yellowy neon color weíve all seen.....such as the correct hue on the recent 2017 JEM777ís.

Personally, and this kinda goes without saying, I think itís quite possibly a scam (this eBay listing). It doesnít make any rational sense. $2000 for an Ď87? Desert Sun Yellow? RG550L with an aftermarket purple pickguard, and what appears to be a missing trem cavity cover and I think the guy even says it comes with no case? (Correct me if Iím wrong)

Either itís not legit, or heís thinking itíll sell so he can order one of the new DYís when they launch? No matter what, itís not realistically worth $2k. Jeesh, Iím not even certain a NOS DY550L from Ď87 would be worth that. Thatís fucking JEM territory.....Iíve seen right handed JEMs that were beat to HELL and sell for around $1500. No offense to this guy at ALL, itís just a really fishy listing to me.

My old DY was an Ď89 iirc and IT came from the factory with a black headstock. It was common for 550s to have black headstocks (as well as matching depending on color, Laser Blue for example) after the first year, and to a lesser extent the second year.

Hands down, if itís indeed an Ď87 original factory Desert Sun Yellow finish then it SHOULD have the matching headstock. Thatís all verifiable by simply looking at the catalogs online. I think this one is a mutt, and is worth closer to $600-$800 if ONLY for the DY body. Itís just too sketchy to spend serious coin on. Thatís my personal opinion on this.
    Mustaine: He's brilliant; I love him. But then you see some guy like BucketheadÖ Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IbanezGuy For This Useful Post:

LGibanez (03-13-2018), metalchurch (03-13-2018), pushead2 (03-13-2018)

Thanks

So 1988 and up could have had either headstock color, but 1987 was matching headstock only? Just trying to get this straight cause I know I asked you this very question before but its been so long that I forgot the details.

Thanks

I purchased a black "brand new" yes brand new 1991 RG550 a few years ago in mint showroom condition for $900. The guy bought two back in '91 and stored the other with the original factory strings and setup. Dan Lawrence re-painted it yellow using the Dayglow paint that was found to be almost an exact match to the factory "secret" paint Ibanez used back in the day

If you haven't seen these links before check it out.. I started the youtube link when he talks about the paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgJF...utu.be&t=4m47s

AND (sorry its photobucket with bs ads BUT really cool gallery so worth checking, not mine)

http://s263.photobucket.com/user/pws...?sort=4&page=1

9. The Following User Says Thank You to socalanthony For This Useful Post:

IbanezGuy (03-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by socalanthony View Post
    I purchased a black "brand new" yes brand new 1991 RG550 a few years ago in mint showroom condition for $900. The guy bought two back in '91 and stored the other with the original factory strings and setup. Dan Lawrence re-painted it yellow using the Dayglow paint that was found to be almost an exact match to the factory "secret" paint Ibanez used back in the day

If you haven't seen these links before check it out.. I started the youtube link when he talks about the paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgJF...utu.be&t=4m47s

AND (sorry its photobucket with bs ads BUT really cool gallery so worth checking, not mine)

http://s263.photobucket.com/user/pws...?sort=4&page=1
    Well that's awesome.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bokepfr View Post
    terima kasih banyak
    Well.....it seems "dreggiec" came to the forum.....and he speaks Indonesian.
    Last edited by IbanezGuy; 03-15-2018 at 11:52 PM.
    Mustaine: He's brilliant; I love him. But then you see some guy like BucketheadÖ Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IbanezGuy For This Useful Post:

Cmartin (03-16-2018), metalchurch (03-15-2018)

Thanks

Hey Joe-I think you found a new BFF!!
    I was me, but you weren't you. You were sticking to me like
    a scab...so I peeled you away, bled for days

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog