Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visiting LA end of January

Thanks

Default Visiting LA end of January

I'll be making a trip to the west coast January 20th, to visit a good friend in LA. I haven't been able to take a vacation / trip on my own like this since having a kid a couple years back, really since 2013. Needless to say I'm pretty excited to get out of town for a couple days lol.

While I'm out there I'm going to try and stop by Rivera's factory in Burbank. I own 2 of them and hit up Paul Jr about swinging by. Also might try and stop by G&L in Fullerton, if possible.

The Kiesel factory and showroom is about 2 hours south and not as easy an option, but I'll probably have one full day to myself while my buddy is at work so I guess it could be doable. And Sacha Dunable has a store front for his custom guitars in the area so that's also on my list of potential sight seeing

Anyone here familiar with / close to LA or know any places around the area that I should look at while I'm there?

Thanks

A few questions to help point you in the right direction: are you talking specifically guitars related, or just what to do in general while in LA? Also, LA is huge- do you know where specifically you'll be staying?

Suhr is in Lake Elsinore- a bit of a ways but if that's something that interests you...
    Schecter is also located here in Van Nuys
    Tom Anderson is in Newbury Park...
    Mesa Boogie / Engl is in Hollywood
    If you're a fan of music- do check out Amoeba- they have all kinds of cd/dvds/etc.

Obviously recommend going to the beach, and doing the typical touristy stuff in Hollywood.

Guitar Center in Hollywood is supposed to be a big deal with a lot of vintage stuff (albeit not too many lefties) although after all is said and done, it is still guitar center.

Carvin/Kiesel used to have a showroom here years ago but unfortunately it closed down, but if you do get a chance to head down to the factory, I recommend it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to manini For This Useful Post:

LeftyLV426 (12-30-2017)

Thanks

GMP/Dan Lawrence is in San Dimas.

Lace is in Cypress.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lostinthemasses For This Useful Post:

LeftyLV426 (12-30-2017)

Thanks

Yeah mostly guitar or music related stuff. I'll only have enough time for a few things probably, but might as well get some extra ideas.

I'll be in Long Beach, pretty sure. Definitely trying to get up to Burbank first and foremost so I'll look for anything else that might be on the way / in the vicinity.

Thanks

Winter NAMM is the end of that week, too. Lots of companies might be busy getting ready for that.

My biggest decision is whether I'm going to risk trying to carry a guitar on the plane or not lol. From what I understand you can take it on, provided there's overhead room when you board and it will actually fit, but i'm scared shitless of the what-if scenarios.
    Last edited by LeftyLV426; 12-30-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyLV426 View Post
    Yeah mostly guitar or music related stuff. I'll only have enough time for a few things probably, but might as well get some extra ideas.

I'll be in Long Beach, pretty sure. Definitely trying to get up to Burbank first and foremost so I'll look for anything else that might be on the way / in the vicinity.
    Not much in Long Beach with respect to guitars I'm afraid (unless Chris knows of anything I'm not aware of), however if you're a fan of Vinyl, visit Fingerprints Music. Very famous independent shop in Long Beach. Sometimes have live shows for free as well there. Burbank is reasonably close to Hollywood, so you may be able to check out some of the places I mentioned in the original post, but if you're staying around for NAMM, there's lots of stuff going on in Anaheim even if you don't have a badge to the convention (there's usually some big metal concerts). If you do have a badge, well then just go to NAMM :P
    Last edited by manini; 12-31-2017 at 02:35 AM. Reason: spelling

9. The Following User Says Thank You to manini For This Useful Post:

LeftyLV426 (12-31-2017)

Thanks

You can fit a guitar in the coat closet at the front of the plane, never once had a problem with putting one there in a gig bag.

There isn't shit in Long Beach other than pawn shops, Guitar Center Fountain Valley has a great used selection though.
    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lostinthemasses For This Useful Post:

LeftyLV426 (12-31-2017)

Thanks

Hell yeah, thanks for all the info! I'm leaving the day before Namm starts, unfortunately. I think that Tuesday I'll have the whole day on my own, so I'm just going to scoot around in my rental car and see what I can find.

Thanks

If you're going the same week as NAMM I would think you would have other guitarists on the flight with the same idea. It might be worth paying extra for early boarding if you end up taking it.

Thanks

If you’re going to be in Hollywood, Guitar Center is worth a stop. While at its core it is of course a Guitar Center, it does have the RockWalk, and the selection of lefties at the moment isn’t bad - I was there last week, and there’s a vintage Strat, 2 vintage Les Pauls, a ‘52 reissue Tele, and a Duesenberg Mike Campbell - so there’s guitars to play, which is more than you can say for most GC’s. Sam Ash is right across the street, and they usually have a few lefties, but there wasn’t anything in there worth mentioning when I went last week.

Amoeba Records is less than a mile away from there, and a stop at In and Out Burger is an absolute must, there’s one within 2 miles of GC/Sam Ash/Amoeba.

If you’re up for a drive into the San Fernando Valley, I would highly recommend a stop a Norman’s Rare Guitars. It’s 98% righties, but the inventory is amazing. He usually has anywhere from 6-12 lefties, so there would be something to pick up and play. And right across the street is a record store called CD Trader - great selection, and prices are pretty good too. Worth sticking your head in there if you go out to Norms.

Did I mention In and Out Burger?

Enjoy your visit!

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog