Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Left For Dead Southpaw Guitars
SouthpawGuitar2
Lefty 6 String

Thread: What are your fav pickups?

Thanks

Default What are your fav pickups?

I was going to devote this to passive bridge and neck humbuckers because that was my original question to Chris amid conversation, but I guess Ill just open it up to anything and everything that way everyone can join in if they want.

Ill edit this once I think it over...

I was going to devote this to passive bridge and neck humbuckers because that was my original question to Chris amid conversation, but I guess Ill just open it up to anything and everything that way everyone can join in if they want.

Edit;
    Ok going by Chris's model, which is an awesome post btw, much more detailed than I expected, so Ill try to keep the format.

Passives;
    Bill n Becky L500XL, L500L, are my absolute fav passive pickups out of the whole mess of whats out there. After swapping over to everything active, it used to be about a 50/50 mix between 81's and L500XL's. I only have one left, (which was my hottest one @ 15.30k) so I already decided that its going back into something. It was in my Pacer Deluxe but to me it sounds so much better with the 81 because its not a bright guitar and the 81 just fits nice tonally with what the guitar already has going on.
    Ive never tried any of their singles because Ive never had a use for them so generally what single coils I did try I did not go seek out, they found me.

DiMarzio Breed is my fav DiMarzio out of the ones Ive personally tried. Whats funny is that Im generally a Ceramic magnet type, but both the Breed and the L500's have an A5 mag. Which leads me to wonder what a ceramic would sound like in the Breed.
    The Evolution does however have a ceramic and of course thats always one of my fav go to DiMarzios cause it really is a versatile pickup.
    The PAF Pro in the bridge is a really nice sounding pickup in both the neck and bridge positions. The USA Warlock had a Super D/PAF Pro and I liked the sound of the paf in the neck. Always thought it came uld benefit from a magnet swap as well, but bone stock it gets the job done.

Never tried the Gravity Storm, but its on the list. Satriani had a new pickup out this summer, so if you guys didnt know already...
    -For single coils, the Chopper,Pro Track, SDS-1 are some I liked.

Seymour AHB1-B Holdsworth is my fav passive duncan, after that its the FullShred, then the Dimebucker, which has a ceramic magnet, as well as the Distortion, which I also like. The 59 is a classic, so that needs to be mentioned. The Screamin Demon is another mid level pickup I like but always felt a Ceramic or an A8 mag would liven it up.

For single coils, the Hotrails bridge and neck were awesome, as well as the lil'59 in the bridge. Coolrails bridge was another good one.

Active;

EMG81 is my fav without question. Thats saying alot because all of my guitars are 1 humbucker/1vol, well I guess it says Im boring.
    I have 4 of them that have the tan epoxy bottoms from 1981-?? Ive read they used them until 1989 when they went to black epoxy.
    But anyways i have one in particular that sounds really good, so pretty much if I really want to like and play a guitar I throw that into it. I did that 3 times already and it works like a charm. Hahaha
    I do like the 85 in the bridge as well as the 58 and I also really like the 60 in the bridge. I really want to try it with a PA-2 preamp, cant wait to see what that does. I also like the H in the bridge.

For Seymours pretty much I like their original active pickups introduced in 1988. There were 4 models LiveWire Metal (humbucker for bridge or neck) LiveWire Classic (tamer humbucker for bridge or neck, think AHB-1 vs 2 basically.) for the Strats it was the LiveWire Hot Strat which was the single coil version of the LiveWire Metal. The Classic Strat was just that, a single coil version of the LiveWire Classic.

For oddballs i had a Shadow EQ5 that my buddy bought new in 1992 and swapped me for a new 85. I shoulda kept that EQ5, it was a cool pickup. And holy shit I need to get to bed.
    Last edited by metalchurch; 12-07-2017 at 01:34 AM.
    Send me your unwanted BCRich's, I'll pay shipping.

Thanks

Bill Lawrence/Wilde:
    L-500XL, L550XL, L-550R, L-280, L290

Gibson:
    498T

Fender:
    SCN neck, Big Dipper neck, MIJ alnico singles, original Wide Range

BKP:
    Black Hawk, Cobra

GFS:
    Retrotron Memphis neck and bridge

DiMarzio:
    Super Distortion, Dual Sound neck

Seymour Duncan:
    Alternative 8, 'lil '59 for Tele, Custom 5, '59 bridge and neck, Perpetual Burn, Jazz, AHB-2, Dave Mustaine LiveWires, P-Rails neck and P-Rails Hot bridge

Ibanez:
    Pretty much any V-series humbucker, S1, Super 58

EMG:
    Overland mini hum/P90, SV, 57/66

Never played a Carvin pickup I didn't like

Pickup manufacturers I'd like to know more about/demo:
    Bartolini, Tom Anderson, Fastback, Klein, Frailin, Gelvin, Lace, TV Jones, Q-Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Thanks

Man, our tastes are crazy different.

Some of my least favorite "popular" pickups are the JB, Screamin' Demon, 81, and Dimebucker.

Of those I legitimately LOATHE the tone of the JB and Dimebucker.

I used to be really big into ceramic magnets until I started swapping all my ceramic pickups' magnets with alnico 8 and alnico 3.

Also lately I've finally grown to appreciate the alnico 5.
    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lostinthemasses For This Useful Post:

metalchurch (12-07-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lostinthemasses View Post
    Man, our tastes are crazy different.

Some of my least favorite "popular" pickups are the JB, Screamin' Demon, 81, and Dimebucker.

Of those I legitimately LOATHE the tone of the JB and Dimebucker.

I used to be really big into ceramic magnets until I started swapping all my ceramic pickups' magnets with alnico 8 and alnico 3.

Also lately I've finally grown to appreciate the alnico 5.
    I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE the Screamin' Demon! (although I don't own one yet) My favorite pups currently are the SD Blackout, Nazgul, Blaze, Dactivator, Evo (love them in my JEM7V), and Super D and PAF's. I have to say the Guitar Fetish pups and the Guitar Heads pups I own sound nice too!!!
    Mustaine: He's brilliant; I love him. But then you see some guy like Buckethead… Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IbanezGuy For This Useful Post:

metalchurch (12-07-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IbanezGuy View Post
    I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE the Screamin' Demon! (although I don't own one yet) My favorite pups currently are the SD Blackout, Nazgul, Blaze, Dactivator, Evo (love them in my JEM7V), and Super D and PAF's. I have to say the Guitar Fetish pups and the Guitar Heads pups I own sound nice too!!!
    My vote goes to the Evolution bridge - I always find myself going back to it due to its focused sound and great power output. Humbucker from Hell in the neck was a nice experience but I find myself drawn to low output Alnico single coils in the neck. I have a Chopper in permanently split wiring in my workhorse guitar.

SD Pickups aren't really my thing either - I found the Screamin' Demon quite underwhelmning.

Don't like PAF's, or Air Nortons unlike 99% of ppl out there.

Of late I've decided to explore Ibanez' stock pickup range and try to appreciate what the manufacturer fitted as intended - the CAP VM 1 and VM 2s in my RG721RW are actually fantastic if I'm to be honest - great smooth output and nice sound in parallell in the neck. Not as tight and focused as say a Tone Zone but not bad either.

Back in the day I remember I despised the V7 S1 V8 found in my old 550's and 570's - maybe it's time to revisit them. Remember them being really anemic and weak with poor harmonics.
    My Official Homepage

Currently playing:
    Ibanez RG721RW
    Looking for:
    Ibanez RG870QMZ, JS2400

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vanya Merc For This Useful Post:

metalchurch (12-07-2017)

Thanks

The JB is pickup that I cannot get along with, however Ive never tried a mag swap with that so its hard to say whther or not Id like it any better or worse than in stock form. I really hate to single the JB out, but its one of the more popular pickups and its also one that you either love or hate, theres really no middle ground.

Very good reading, I really enjoyed reading what you guys posted so far.
    Send me your unwanted BCRich's, I'll pay shipping.

Thanks

I like the JB. And, because of its high mids hump, it reacts a lot to magnet swap. I like it with a big ceramic magnet. And that's a Distortion.

I like old school metal humbucker, with some edge on the attack. I think you (US english speakers) called it "chunky". Duncan Custom or Super Distortion have that quality (or an old Bill Lawrence USA L500L that I've got). I've got an Evo waiting to be tested on a superstrat for months.

I really love the Dimarzio DP103. Best budget PAF-like. Classic 57 are crap compared to it. And I find the SD '59 just meh.

I like the SSL1. A safe and cheap bet for the traditionnal strat quack.

I'm too greedy to have tested boutique pickups.

Last, I like my single coil (even when they're high output) to sound really single coilly and my humbuckers (even when they're low output) to sound like an humbucker. I HATE P90s.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog