Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Left For Dead Southpaw Guitars
SouthpawGuitar2
Lefty 6 String
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Dillion USA knowledge here????

Thanks

I do not know much about the company, but I would agree with what you said regarding its manufacture location, etc... generally most companies do not outsource, and if they do and it is another US company, they generally state that somewhere on the guitar, or the advertisement as a selling point.

All that being said, I will say that the quality and cradtsmanship of overseas models has gone way way up over time. Also, its not their fault that theyre being contracted to build X amount of guitars, with whatever materials they were provided by the parent or contracting company. We seem to over look that part of it. Im willing to bet that with better materials and hardware that they could and do as good of a job as anyone.

That being said, going by the pictures alone in the case of the Dillon in the ebay link, it appears to be built very well and on par with what it should be given its price range. Just like any other guitar, it was a model built to fill a void in a specific price range/ spec group, and it looks very good on paper as well as the pictures.
    Send me your unwanted BCRich's, I'll pay shipping.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to metalchurch For This Useful Post:

crawdaddy (09-29-2017)

Thanks

Well...I made an offer for the one on Reverb and it has been accepted...so we will see in about a week or so how the guitar is....

Thanks for all the help....

Thanks

i have a friend who bought one of their firebird copies and their rickebacker copies and said they were both surprisingly well made and sounded great with a little tinkering.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to skullvankrush For This Useful Post:

crawdaddy (10-02-2017)

Thanks

Well, which one?

Thanks

Well Rosie arrived on Friday....very fast delivery service. The guitar is (stealing a phrase from above) surprisingly well made. I do need to bring the action down a bit, but not too bad out of the box. The "Wilkinson" P/U's are nice. I will have to play around with the neck pickup for better tone, but the bridge P/U sounds great to me.

The fit and finish looks good to me and since the body isn't solid rosewood (alder w/rosewood veneer), it isn't too heavy, feels nice and comfy.

A couple of things I wish they would have done would be to include a gigbag and a truss rod wrench. I know, I have many cases and bags laying around along with many hex wrenches, but I think it would have been nice to include them.

Here are a couple of quick pics I took this morning:

dillion_001.JPG

dillion body_001.JPG

dillion body_002.JPG

And a photo of Rocky and Rosie:

rocky_rosie.JPG

8. The Following User Says Thank You to crawdaddy For This Useful Post:

metalchurch (10-09-2017)

Thanks

Rosewood Telcaster was unexpected! They might be the only ones making it outside of Fender and for lefty you prob have to go Japan or Custom Shop
    Psycho Therapy, now I've got glowin' eyes ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AllroyPA For This Useful Post:

crawdaddy (10-10-2017)

Thanks

When I was reading the specs after you posted this, I saw that the neck is a tinted stain to emulate the color of the rosewood, or tie it in better I should say.
    How does that look and feel to you? Does it feel sticky to you, or does it have the normal feel it should have?
    How close did they get with color matching that to the rosewood?

I hope im wording those questions right, Im not implying there should be an issue, nor should you be expecting one, I was just genuinely wondering about those areas in particular mainly because its impossible to tell that from photos.

Once you get the action down and set up to your liking and play it for a little bit, you may just have yourself a winner here man!

Also, since not many of us were familiar before, we all can certainly learn something about the company and the guitar. I take crawdaddy's thougts on guitars pretty highly because he has had some nice ones pass through his hands over the years, so he has both experience and current ownership to draw from.
    Theres many of us here that all specialize (so to speak) in certain areas, which is so awesome to draw from and pick each other's brains because that means we dont have to talk to right handed people to get their crazy thoughts on the matter. Win win!

Going solely on the pics alone Crawdaddy, I like it! Happy for ya, cause this could have went the other way, but it didnt and it worked out great! Thanks for sharing this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to metalchurch For This Useful Post:

crawdaddy (10-10-2017)

Thanks

Thank you MC for the kind words....like you stated, there are many people on this site with great insight to the various facets of the left handed guitar world...we are a breed amongst ourselves.

I'm also amazed at the electronic wisdom on this site...me I know how to plug the amp into the outlet and then I'm lucky if I get the guitar cord in the correct input on the amp!!!! I do have a wah pedal that I use from time to time, so I'm definitely growing up

Back to the guitar, they did a nice job of staining the neck (the guitar is also available with a poly finished maple neck and no stain) though it is a tad lighter than the body. You can't really notice unless you are looking at it in direct lighting.

Here is a pic of the neck: dillion neck back_001.JPG

I didn't notice the neck being sticky yesterday when I was goofing around, but after I read your question, I just sat down with the guitar and yes it isn't as fast as I would like it to be. The radius of the neck feels flatter to me when compared to my 9.5" Fenders, so I'm thinking it might be a 12" radius. I didn't see anything in the specs regarding this area of the guitar.

Also, the frets are very nicely done with no sprouting at the edges. The hardware/pickups are Wilkinson and the tuners a Grovers' so it seems to be made up from decent materials.

In conclusion...I am very proud to hang this puppy on my wall and show her off....

PS: there is a review of "Rosie" on youtube. The dude that does the review is a bit all over the place, but what the hey, he's enjoying himself and that is all that counts....just search for Dillion Rosie and that should get you there.

Thanks

Absolutely Sir!
    Thanks for taking a second to post your thoughts on the neck finish.

If it gets to be too sticky and unbearable, take some 0000 steel wool to the back of the neck (after you tape off the fret board.) It will only take a dozen or so light passes up and down the length of the neck, and make sure you go in that direction because thats the natural way it would wear... After you play it a while it will gloss back up from literally being polished up by merely playing, so dont feel as though youre going to irreversibly mod it, because the best part is that yu can make it new again by playing it. Lol To an extent mind you. Lol

Neck profile and radius will also have alot to do with how fast or slow a neck feels, so it may just be one of those guitars that does its own thing and does it really good. Cant expect them all to be the same really.

Seems as though this guitar filled a void in your collection quite nicely and I think thats so cool that it all worked out really good in that respect. If it plays good and looks good, then you did ok man, and with all that being said, you rightly should be proud of it, cause anyone of us would be given a similar situation.

Thought this was a cool read;
    http://www.fenderrocks.com/historic-...od-telecaster/

And post #10 in this thread shows a Rosie;
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/show-yo...uitars.295291/

Come Together would be a nice saucy riff to play on that thing to get warmed up.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to metalchurch For This Useful Post:

crawdaddy (10-10-2017)

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog