Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Left For Dead Southpaw Guitars
SouthpawGuitar2
Lefty 6 String
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for first guitar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I was under the impression that starting out with an acoustic and moving to an electric was the "proper" way to learn.

When you guys are recommending starting out with an electric guitar, are you including acoustic/electric guitars in that (like the one dirtdog linked) or are you referring to straight electric?

MetalChurch: Are you saying you would advice against that Fender CD-60SCE dirtdog posted and spend that $300 on a higher quality used guitar?

Thank you guys for all of your feedback so far!
    Straight up electric. It is a bit more forgiving on the fingers to start out with. Ive seen many hang up the guitar cause the acoustic they had had way high action and like big string gauge. Least with electric the actions are usually can be dialed in better/easier due to the bridge which is more movable up and down. but there are tons of crap electrics too. but a strat or tele is my suggestion.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirtdog For This Useful Post:

Jack (08-02-2017)

Thanks

Honestly, I wouldn't spend a lot of money if I were starting out. So many people take up guitar and quit for various reasons. Then you're stuck with a left handed guitar that will definitely be hard to sell. Only 7% of the population is left-handed!

Consider buying one of the links below, and after a year, if you're still playing, spend some real coin on something you really like. If you're not playing after a year, then you have some good kindling. Guitar Center will mail it to you for $20. If you have a friend who plays have them look at it and tell you what they think. You can also take it to your nearest Guitar Center and let the tech check it out. If it needs a neck tweak, he'll do it for free. If the fret edges are a bit sharp (they may be fine), you can have the tech file them real quick. If it's ahunk of garbage, which I highly doubt, you have 45 days to return it. Look up reviews of that particular series and see what people say. Generally, reviews are decent. I used a neck from one on a home made body and was happy with how it turned out.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/SX/...r-113393976.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/SX/...tric-Guitar.gc

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zippin44 For This Useful Post:

Jack (08-02-2017)

Thanks

....MetalChurch: Are you saying you would advice against that Fender CD-60SCE dirtdog posted and spend that $300 on a higher quality used guitar?....
    No Im not necessarily saying that Id advise against it, but rather it is another option to consider.
    There is nothing wrong with the Fender that Judd suggested and it would probably do you just fine Im sure of it.
    Truth be told, I was drinking and really didnt remember what I said to you until this morning and Im personally surprised that I even formed a coherent thought. Lol
    (Im never drinking again)
    Send me your unwanted BCRich's, I'll pay shipping.

Thanks

So I've done some more research based on the advice given here over the last couple weeks and I think I've settled on going with a hollow body electric guitar and spending just a little more.

I think I'll be pulling the trigger on a Gretsch streamliner here in the next week or so.

Anything else ya'll think I should take into account before breaking out my wallet?

Thanks

Getting an amp that doesn't suck?
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lostinthemasses For This Useful Post:

Blue Church2 (08-02-2017)

Thanks

So I've done some more research based on the advice given here over the last couple weeks and I think I've settled on going with a hollow body electric guitar and spending just a little more.

I think I'll be pulling the trigger on a Gretsch streamliner here in the next week or so.

Anything else ya'll think I should take into account before breaking out my wallet?
    If you want to spend that much go for it, but I would definitely stick with a cheaper guitar until you know that you enjoy playing and will stick with it. You can get great used guitars for next to nothing these days.

Thanks

Is this a Bigsby version or solid tail ?
    Psycho Therapy, now I've got glowin' eyes ...

Thanks

Just wanted to pop in and update everyone who helped out (if anyone cares).

Decided to go with an acoustic to learn on, save some money, and make sure this was something I would stick with. Looked around at used guitars in shops around the SF bay area sporadically for about a month, then ended up buying a used Yamaha FG720SL on craigslist for $85 a few weeks ago.

Couldn't be happier with the find, it's in beautiful shape, sounds great and have looked forward to practicing every day since getting it.

Anyways, thank you everyone who shared advice...not sure I really followed it though.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Useful Post:

beneharris (10-20-2017), superheavydeathmetal (10-20-2017)

Thanks

Makes no difference to us if you follow it or not! Just get better, stick around, and be part of the community. Glad you found one!

Thanks

The learning curve is steep, so don't get discouraged. Once it all clicks it comes together fast. Think Karate Kid after Danny yells at Miyagi.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog