Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

XLG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First acoustic recommendations?

Thanks

Default First acoustic recommendations?

Hi all, I am new to the forums after lurking for while. I am 48yo and have been playing Uke for a couple of years. I'm finding it more and more difficult to find online training for Uke. So I've decided to save up for a guitar as there is much more training available.

I am interested a something in the $600-800 range, a bit beyond the most basic entry level
    stuff. With the lack of lefty guitars available the search has been difficult.

My current first choice is the new Taylor Academy 12e Grand Concert. That pinched waist, smaller body fits me well. Plus I studied classical guitar as a child, playing righty which I really struggled with and eventually just quit.

It's at least a 6 month wait to order the Taylor and I'm probably 3-4 months away from ordering. So I'd like to consider some other options, but as a complete newbie it's hard to know what plays easy, sounds good, etc. I don't care about bling. I'm focused on playability and nice tone. When I have received recommendations on specific models I'm finding 95% are not even made in left hand.

So I thought it might be better to seek advice from other lefties. What do you all find available new/used in the GC body size and this quality range with ease of playability?
    Last edited by uke4Jerry; 07-10-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Typos

Thanks

Hey dude...welcome! Its a little sparse around here, but there's some cool dudes on here that'll steer you in the right direction.

I'm partial to Larrivee. You can sometimes pick up a used lefty in the $800 range. Outstanding build quality. For a smaller body They've got a Parlor series, with a smaller body.

Here's a couple links:

https://reverb.com/item/5691227-larr...p-satin-finish

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lefty-Larriv...MAAOSwurZZGhL0

No affiliation, btw. And just my 2 cents. But if you are sold on Taylor (which you pretty much can't go wrong with), order it and wait it out!

Thanks

Fretty,

Thanks for the welcome and reply. I must be doing something wrong in my searches as I never find anything affordable on Reverb or eBay.

The one on reverb looks nice, I'll see if I can get measurements off the Larrivee website. I've heard many excellent things about this brand, but figured I'd never find one I could afford.

Thanks again.

Thanks

Hello and welcome, I'm sure that the guys will come along to help you. It's been rather slow because of summer, but everyone here is really helpful.
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you as far as wanting an acoustic, and that's the price point I'd like to be in for a new one as well.

I see that youre into the Grand Concert style body shape, but I'm not too familiar with them. I'm kinda lookin for something smaller, like in between a Parlor and a Folk shape and with a cutaway and 25.5" scale/12" radius.

Yahama makes some nice acoustics from what I've seen anyway, as well as Dean and Luna. I was in my local store and those 3 brands are what they have so I grabbed a catalog from each, but there's really nothing that suits me. I'll look again here in a little bit to see if there's anything that suits your fancy.
    Last edited by metalchurch; 07-13-2017 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Tori Spelling
    We're non-profit.
    Hey, are you gonna eat that?

Thanks

@metalchurch,
    Thanks for the welcome and the help.

From what I've researched a Grand Concert is similar to a 000, a Folk is similar to 00, and Parlor a 0. I'm still not sure how accurate this is though as actual measurements seem to very considerably from brand to brand. For me a 15" lower bout allows me to comfortably reach around the guitar when seated which is how I always play. The pinched waist sits snugly on my leg. I prefer Venetian cutaways as well, but they seem to only be combined with more expensive tonewoods so typically out of my price range

Thanks

I looked in those catalogs but there isnt much available to us.
    Have you looked at the Fender Hellcat? Im thinking it is a Concert shape and should be around $400 if im remembering correctly. Which leaves some cash for a case and strings and such, unless it comes with a case, but i doubt it..

Luna didnt have a Concert shape, but they do have a nice Parlor shape that i like. Its called the Passion Flower, and it has a 25.5"/12" radius/1-11/16" nut width....

Dean has one called the Exhibition, which appears to be a Concert shape with a lower cutaway. It has mahogany back/sides, with a mahogany top, ebony fret board, 24-1/4" scale with a 12" radius and a 1-11/16" nut width. Its right around $400 as well.
    It comes in black satin and faded denim. You may want to check that one out..
    Dave at XLG Guitars is a dealer and should have them....
    You should browse the sites of our supporting vendors too while you're at it. Youll see their billboard ads on our main page....

Thats about all I can really offer to help because I havent personally owned or really even touched an acoustic in 20yrs and I really do want to get one, but I'm so picky and I've yet to see that perfect one.

If you consider buying used, then try Guitar Center's used section because theres some killer deals on there sometimes. Heck you could prob get your $600 acoustic for $300 on there, in which case, you may as well bump it up a class and get a $600 used acoustic, which is more like a $1000-$1200 new out the door price most places.

Yahama and Ovation made some lefties, but I haven't checked in a while. The Yahama APX-700IIL was around $600 new, but I think its a smaller profile body and much thinner body and also with a lower cutaway...

Im sure other guys will offer better first hand info and experience than what little I have to offer, but hopefully if anything I gave you some ideas. Take your time and shop around, and please dont hesitate to ask questions, theres no shame in any of that what so ever man, plus itll be nice to have some more active members on here.

Joe
    Last edited by metalchurch; 07-13-2017 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Tori Spelling
    We're non-profit.

Thanks

Breedlove also has a Concert shape for $500, I just saw that in the new American Musical Supply catalog.
    We're non-profit.

Thanks

Big Baby Taylor
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Thanks

MetalChurch, thanks for all the tips. I never really considered a big box retailer for used, I'll keep an eye out there.

I'll check out all the models you recommend.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks

I have a Takamine AN16 that I love. I have played it maybe an hour in the last 4 years, but I refuse to part with it because I know one day I will get into acoustic more, even if that day does not come for another 10 years, and I know I would kick myself for having let it go.
    Resident Schecter fanboy - Line 6 - NYXL - too much gain

This user has gone 17 days without purchasing a guitar.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog