Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Southpaw Guitars
XLG SouthpawGuitar2
Lefty 6 String Adirondack Guitars
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name 5 guitar players you stole the most from.

Thanks

That's what everyone says and I guess I can't blame them. While I do like Metal Church's first 2 albums a lot, they really don't even crack the top 20 of my fav bands. Probably not the top 40 actually.. I used this name on a local PA musicians forum back in 2002 and because I'm forgetful, I kept using it for other forums. Kurt does have some good riffs and they are cited as big influences by a lot of metal guys.
    "Godsmack is more metal than Alice in Chains though, they're like an Axe body spray Chevy 2500 with a body lift "I enlisted because I'm really good at Call of Duty" band". -LITM

2. The Following User Says Thank You to metalchurch For This Useful Post:

manini (06-17-2017)

Thanks

I always think I can easily make lists like this one, then I start writing and it becomes impossible haha.

I could make a list for that initial influence that made me want to pick up the guitar and drove me to keep practicing and developing at a young age - the "holy shit, guitar is awesome I want to be just like that" influence, and then there's a list for influence that really helped shape my playing and my own style once I was writing and recording my own stuff. I'll go with that one here (hard to do only 5, lol).

Henrik Danhage
    Jesper Stromblad
    Peter Wichers
    Jerry Cantrell
    Chris & Michael Amott (had to name both)

Edit: I'm cheating here! Big honorable mention for Jon Donaise from Shadows Fall. He's probably the reason I don't use trems. I remember hearing his vibrato and thinking it HAD to be a floyd or trem, and it was just his hands. I have pretty aggressive vibrato and I think it's because of him.
    Last edited by LeftyLV426; 06-16-2017 at 04:35 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeftyLV426 For This Useful Post:

beneharris (06-18-2017), metalchurch (06-16-2017)

Thanks

That's what I meant when making this post....
    I meant for everyone to list guys that they can attribute their personal style and playing to. NOT those who inspire you. Its really two different things.

For example, I feel as though some of my slower riffing comes from listening to Allen West from Obituary and more notable Six Feet Under. I feel as though some of my faster riffing I get from Eric and Brian Hoffman of Deicide...
    Yngwie inspires me, but none of my playing is like his really...

Hopefully everyone got what I meant....
    Last edited by metalchurch; 06-16-2017 at 04:37 PM.
    "Godsmack is more metal than Alice in Chains though, they're like an Axe body spray Chevy 2500 with a body lift "I enlisted because I'm really good at Call of Duty" band". -LITM

Thanks

I stole a good deal from Tom Morello as well

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:

metalchurch (06-18-2017)

Thanks

I think this is very good representation:
    George Lynch
    Warren Dimartini
    Steve Vai
    EVH
    Reb Beach

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirtdog For This Useful Post:

metalchurch (06-18-2017)

Thanks

I think we should start listing 5 guitar players that stole from you!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:

beneharris (06-18-2017), Dirtdog (06-17-2017), metalchurch (06-18-2017)

Thanks

I was impressed with Judd's list as well!! While I absolutely freakin love every one of those players, I couldn't create anything that could hold up to them. Sometimes when I'm drunk I think I'm playing a stadium full of topless 18+ hotties, and Don Dokken is my front man, but that don't count. So I'll settle for every once in a while nailing a Lynch squeal during Kiss of Death, or what have you. And it feels so good when I do!!
    Last edited by metalchurch; 06-17-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to add Don Dokken to the lineup...oops.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to metalchurch For This Useful Post:

Dirtdog (06-17-2017)

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification on inspiration versus personal style. I couldn't limit it to 5!
    For playing style -
    Ronnie Earl
    Robben Ford
    Lee Ritneour
    David Gilmour
    Poppa Chubby
    Lefty on the right side of the country but the left side of the state-

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 62LeftyBlues For This Useful Post:

metalchurch (06-18-2017)

Thanks

This is really hard. I'd have to say:

John Petrucci - His rhythm and ear for melodic solos are second to none (live is debatable). His teh feelz solos like in "Goodnight Kiss" are fantastic.
    Yngwie Malmsteen - super obvious; if his shredding doesn't give you a boner, you're not alive.
    Billy Corgan - The way he layers guitars is just fantastic, and nobody does it like him. Just listen to "Pomp and Circumstances" he's got something like 150 layers of guitars instead of strings.
    Aaron Gregory (Giant Squid) - he has this knack for writing these flowing, never-ending riffs that just speak to me. (Metridium Field is 20+ minutes long, literally 2 riffs.)

Number 5 is a 4 way tie between some guitar duos:
    The guys from Tyr
    The guys from God Forbid
    The guys from Queensryche
    The guys from Coheed and Cambria
    They've all got this way of writing for 2 guitars that is unparalleled. Queensryche has the dual harmonized solos, Tyr has the hammering, ass-tight rhythms. God Forbid has these counter points that are very well thought out. See 2:30-3:32 of "Into The Wasteland" (if you've never listened to their album "Constitution of Treason" - for shame). That was seriously THE album that got me into metal that wasn't Dream Theater or Queensryche. I just happened across it at a store and the rest is history. I probably owe more to Doc and Doyle than John Petrucci now that I think about it!
    Last edited by beneharris; 06-18-2017 at 12:43 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to beneharris For This Useful Post:

metalchurch (06-18-2017)

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog