Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ape's YouTube channel and more...

Thanks

Lightbulb Ape's YouTube channel and more...

I wanted to show you a couple more of my videos, but I decided to not clutter this section and just attach them all together in one thread. The purpose is so you guys get an idea of the kind of music I can play, because I am seriously considering taking students via online (Skype, iChat) and (after getting the green light from Jesse) I figured who better to offer this first than the online lefty community!

So, here you go!

So, comment if you like them and/or if you would like me to help you get better at playing guitar! Whether you are looking to get a better grasp on theory, you want to improve your soloing skills, get better at playing rhythm or all of the above, I'm your guy!

Have a good one!
    Last edited by cosmic_ape; 03-06-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks

Tell us a bit more about how that would work.
    va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
    Quote Originally Posted by chilton View Post
    Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
    www.dutchcassidy.com

Thanks

I was thinking of doing it through Paypal. Each lesson would be 30-45 min long. I'm still working on determining the price for them (given the fact that I do not want to alienate people but I do live in one the most expensive cities in the country). I've thought about offering bulk discounts (buy four lessons, get a discounted price) and be flexible with the scheduling (as often as you would like to have your lesson, weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc).

After the prospective student has "enrolled" (paid for the first lesson, or a package of lessons), I would contact him/her for a preliminary evaluation, just so I could get an idea on their knowledge and playing level. After that, I'd give them my assessment and tell them what I think the areas to work on should be and take it from there. At that moment, I'd also like for them to tell what they want to learn and try to design a customized lesson plan for them.

I am reviewing some lesson plans on my own as we speak. But I wanted to see what the interest (if any) would be... These online lessons might be cheaper compared to what I'd charge to local people, since I would not have to travel to the student's home and spend time and money burning gas while sitting in traffic. This is L.A. after all!

Thanks

Although I've never personally tried it, there are some good teachers using BandHappy. It seems to be a pretty cool site and gives the teachers some credibility (I guess). The downside is BandHappy takes 15%.
    Good Deals on LGT with:
    Jesse
    mdrorick
    lefthandhunter
    Mr.9 Fingers
    theplystory
    abadonae
    LeftyParasite
    Lefty6string
    espfreak
    IbanezGuy

Thanks

Lessons would be 'live' though? As if you had driven to their homes, so to speak?
    va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
    Quote Originally Posted by chilton View Post
    Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
    www.dutchcassidy.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Olav View Post
    Lessons would be 'live' though? As if you had driven to their homes, so to speak?
    Yes, one on one. Two webcams and two amps! That should be the name!!!

There are other places like BandHappy. That is also a possibility. Like I said, I'm still looking into it and wanted to see if the lefty community was interested first... As of now, and maybe just for the lefty pals on this forum, we should skip the middle men!

I'll tell you one thing. It seems that BandHappy is like attending class. Be there or else. I am offering you ONE ON ONE instruction at YOUR convenience (unless you live across the world, in which case we would both have to come to a compromise!)...
    Last edited by cosmic_ape; 03-07-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks

Thumbs up Ready, set, GO!!!

Alright, I think I have a first draft on some topics to work on:

Prospective Lesson Plan

Beginner

Physical Components of the instrument
    Posture, Left/Right hand position
    How to tune, eBGDAE tuning
    Basic Reading/Skill exercises, focus on two hands/eye dexterity
    Introduction to flat and finger picking
    Basic Melodic Patterns, Single String lines
    Introduction to chords, tonality and circle of fifths
    Basic Strumming/Rhythm techniques
    Reading: learn basic note and rest values, treble clef reading and introduction to dynamics and time signatures.
    Intervals

Intermediate

The CAGED system
    Introduction to Scales, the Blues Scale as a main frame of reference
    Pentatonic Scale
    Blues progressions, call and response
    Modes (part I) and Introduction to Arpeggios
    Key center oriented soloing.
    Rhythm: Introduction to major and minor triads applied to CAGED positions
    7th chords and introduction to more complex comping patterns. One chord vamps
    Chord inversions, in different sets of strings, by groups of three strings per chord
    Introduction to stylistic comping, both straight and swing feel
    Harmonized scale, Roman numeral chord symbols
    Introduction to voice leading and tension substitution chords
    Double stops

Advanced

Introduction to modal interchange
    Modes, part II
    Melodic minor modes, construction and patterns
    Different functions of dominant seventh chords
    Soloing over progressions with secondary dominant chords
    Chord Scale
    Intro to Reharmonization, Chord Melody
    Rhythm: Inversions of seventh chords, major 7th, dominant 7th, minor seventh flat five and diminished. Incorporate inversions to rhythm playing
    Applying rhythm comping to real life scenarios. Syncopation and Funk style comping

I will lighten up on the reading, since I realize some folks out there will probably not be too interested in learning standard notation. I will still provide the exercises both in standard notation and tab and I will dive into any of these topics as deep as the student wants me to. There's definitely some sub topics within and I am still working on this plan.

Like I said earlier, we will be flexible with the scheduling. Some of these concepts take a while to sink in and get down to your fingers, so it's up to you how fast or slow you wish to proceed. I do hope we can keep it consistent, so I can give you the proper regime for you to work on your own.

For your consideration, here’s a little bit of my musical upbringing:

My profile at Musicians Institute's Network

After getting my B.F.A., instead of applying to grad school, I applied to Musicians Institute. One thing to consider is that M.I. has a couple of programs based on duration and intensity. The most common program for guitarists is GIT and it lasts a year and a half. Then, there’s the Bachelor program, which lasts twice as long (and a whole year more if you count general education classes in) and is exponentially more intense! This is the program that I attended.

At MI, I studied with great guitarists like Carl Verheyen, Scott Henderson, Allen Hinds, Dean Brown (YouTube them, seriously!) among other great unsung musical heroes. I attended seminars featuring (in no particular order) Guthrie Govan, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Greg Koch, Joe Bonamassa, Andy Timmons, Tommy Emmanuel, Allan Holdsworth, Mike Stern, Frank Gambale, Oz Noy, Dave Weiner, Johnny Hiland, John Jorgenson, Tony Macalpine, Chris Poland, Richie Kotzen, Dave Martone, etc. I'm sure I left some out, but you get the idea!

Any questions, feel free to ask!
    Last edited by cosmic_ape; 07-13-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks

I'm game. Would love to have a little more structure incorporated into my practice, and a lesson plan would do just that... not to mention how much more I apply myself when I'm paying for the time! Plus, I've got 25 years' worth of catching up to do.

So, consider me a willing test pilot if you want to get started and see how the whole idea flies. PM me for more contact info?

Also -- dig the videos you posted. Really enjoyed them all.
    I want to Rock and Roll all night... and part of every day

Quote Originally Posted by lostinthemasses View Post
    You want some cocaine with that watermelon?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mdrorick View Post
    I'm game. Would love to have a little more structure incorporated into my practice, and a lesson plan would do just that... not to mention how much more I apply myself when I'm paying for the time! Plus, I've got 25 years' worth of catching up to do.

So, consider me a willing test pilot if you want to get started and see how the whole idea flies. PM me for more contact info?

Also -- dig the videos you posted. Really enjoyed them all.
    Thank you. PM'ed

Thanks

Some very nice pickin' there Ape. For some reason i can learn from righty (aka wrongys) players better. I guess it's just the mirror image thing i am used to since back when. Good luck with your en-devour!
    aka rolling56

Visitors found this page by searching for:

apeyoutube

apeuteb

www.apeuteb.com

http:forum.leftyguitartrader.comshowthread.php3255-Ape-s-YouTube-channel-and-morepage3

http:www.leftyguitartrader.comforumshowthread.php3255-Ape-s-YouTube-channel-and-more

apeyoubapeutibapeyobeapeyoutube.comapeyutebbbbapeyoutiubapeyoutupe.comapeyoutpapeyoutupeapeyoutube.apeyoutubezz
SEO Blog